Oxinger offers a complete line of window and door weather stripping products and replacement parts that will seal out air, water, dust and insects plus reduce noise infiltration. Items such as backer rod weather stripping, pile weather stripping, poly flex weather seals, window bulbs, door sweeps and door shoes will help maximize your home’s energy efficiency.
Applying Weather stripping
To determine how much weather stripping you will need, add the perimeters of all windows and doors to be weather stripped, then add 5% to 10% to accommodate any waste. Also consider that weather stripping comes in varying depths and widths.
Weather stripping supplies and techniques range from simple to the technical. Consult the instructions on the weather stripping package.
Here are a few basic guidelines:
- Weather stripping should be applied to clean, dry surfaces in temperatures above 20°F (-7° C).
- Measure the area to be weather stripped twice before making a cut.
- Apply weather stripping snugly against both surfaces.
- The material should compress when the window or door is shut.
When weather stripping doors:
- Choose the appropriate door sweeps and thresholds for the bottom of the doors.
- Weather strip the entire door jamb.
- Apply one continuous strip along each side.
- Make sure the weather stripping meets tightly at the corners.
- Use a thickness that causes the weather stripping to press tightly between the door and the door jamb when the door closes without making it difficult to shut.
For air sealing windows, apply weather stripping between the sash and the frame. The weather stripping shouldn’t interfere with the operation of the window.